Enrolment in the Major program is limited. Students will normally apply to enter the program after completing 4.0 or 5.0 credits including SOCA03Y3. Decisions are made on program admissions only twice a year, in May and in August, and are based on student requests submitted to the Office of the Registrar through ACORN. Admission will require a final grade of 65% or higher in SOCA03Y3 (or a CGPA of 65% or higher in SOCA01H3 and SOCA02H3). For students applying after completing 8.0 to 10.0 credits, admission will be on the basis of SOC courses completed, or on overall CGPA for those students who have not completed any SOC courses. Specialist students will be entitled to priority access to SOCB42H3 and SOCB43H3 for fall-winter sessions, during the summer early registration period.
The Program requires completion of 7.0 credits in Sociology including:
2. SOCB05H3 Logic of Social Inquiry
3. SOCB35H3 Numeracy and Society
4. SOCB42H3 Classical Sociological Theory I
5. SOCB43H3 Classical Sociological Theory II
6. 0.5 credit in SOC courses at the C-level that has been designated as an Applied Writing Skills course
7. 3.5 additional credits in SOC courses, of which at least 1.5 credits must be at the C- or D-level