Enrolment in the Specialist program is limited. Students will normally apply to enter the program after completing 4.0 or 5.0 credits including SOCA03Y3. Decisions are made on program admissions only twice a year, in May and in August, and are based on student requests submitted to the Office of the Registrar through ROSI. Admission will require a final grade of 70% or higher in SOCA03Y3 (or a CGPA of 70% or higher in SOCA01H3 and SOCA02H3). For students applying after completing 8.0 to 10.0 credits, admission will be on the basis of SOC courses completed, or on overall CGPA for those students who have not completed any SOC courses. Specialist students will be entitled to priority access to SOCB42H3, SOCB43H3, SOCC23H3 and SOCC31H3, for fall-winter sessions, during the summer early registration period.
The Program requires completion of 12.0 credits as described below. No more than 14.0 credits in Sociology may be included in a four-year degree.
1. 1.0 credit as follows:
[(SOCA01H3) Introduction to Sociology I and (SOCA02H3) Introduction to Sociology II] or
SOCA03Y3 Introduction to Sociology
2. SOCB05H3 Logic of Social Inquiry
3. SOCB35H3 Numeracy and Society
4. SOCB42H3 Classical Sociological Theory I
5. SOCB43H3 Classical Sociological Theory II
6. 3.0 credits at the B-level in Sociology
7. SOCC40H3 Contemporary Sociological Theory
9. 0.5 SOC credit at the C-level that has been designated as an Applied Writing Skills course
10. 4.5 additional credits at the C- or D- level in SOC courses*, of which at least 1.0 credit must be at the D-level.
*Students may substitute courses from cognate disciplines with the prior approval of the program supervisor.