Course Regulations

Course Load

  • A standard course load for a full-time undergraduate student in any session is 2.5 credits. 
  • Students who register in at least 1.5 credits in a session are considered to be full-time. Students who enroll in fewer than 1.5 credits in a session are considered to be part-time. Students who are restricted to part-time studies may have a course load of no more than 1.25 credits in any session until they have completed at least 3.0 credits and have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.00. 
  • Undergraduate students at UTSC are not permitted to enroll in more than 3.0 credits per term without permission from the Office of the Registrar. Limited exceptions are made for students working towards a BBA degree; for more information consult the Management section of this Calendar. 
  • Students writing deferred exams are encouraged to enrol in a balanced and manageable course load in order to support success. Students writing multiple deferred exams should consult with an Academic Advisor and/or their Disability Consultant to discuss course load considerations and an individualized plan for academic progress. 
  • Students placed on probation may not exceed a course load of 2.0 credits per session.
    • Upon notification of probation, students enrolled in future sessions must drop all courses above the 2.0 credits maximum. Failure to do so within 7 days of notification of standing on ACORN will result in removal from the most recently added course(s) above 2.0 credits.  
    • Students who are allowed to continue on probation because they have achieved a sessional grade point average of at least 1.60 may take a normal course load.
    • While on probation, students must meet with an academic advisor to discuss the reasons leading to being placed on probation and to plan strategies to improve academic performance. Staff in the Academic Advising & Career Centre are available to provide guidance.
    • For more information about academic probation go to the Office of the Registrar website.


Courses in Other Divisions or Faculties

Students registered at UTSC should choose courses offered at UTSC; however, UTSC students may enroll in courses offered by any of the Undergraduate Divisions of the University of Toronto, provided that they meet the enrolment controls and prerequisites established by the host Divisions. While still considered an earned credit, any course from other undergraduate Divisions of the University taken in excess of 10.0 credits will not count toward the 20.0 credits required for a UTSC degree; however, the course will be included in the Grade Point Average (GPA) calculation. These courses may also count towards UTSC program requirements provided they are approved by the UTSC academic unit offering the program; students are advised to seek departmental approval before enrolling in courses offered at other Divisions of the University of Toronto. UTSC students enrolling in courses in other Undergraduate Divisions should also note that, although academic and course refund deadlines may be different at these Divisions, as a UTSC student they must adhere to all UTSC deadlines (e.g., enrolment, cancellation, CR/NCR, refund, etc.), with the exception of the start and end of classes.

  • If a student takes a course offered by another Undergraduate Division and fails it the course will not be counted towards the 10.0 credits.
  • Courses taken at another Undergraduate Division that are designated as "extra" (EXT) will not be counted towards the 10.0 credits.
  • Courses taken at another Undergraduate Division that are designated as CR/NCR are counted towards the 10.0 credits if the student achieves a grade of CR, but are not counted towards the 10.0 credits if they are assessed as NCR.

In some circumstances, other than those specifically provided for within UTSC Combined Degree Programs, UTSC undergraduate students may be permitted to enroll in graduate courses offered by UTSC or another Division of the University of Toronto. Students seeking to do so must meet the enrolment controls and prerequisites of the host Division. They are also advised to consult with both the UTSC Office of the Registrar to confirm that the proposed course can carry UTSC undergraduate degree credit and with the relevant UTSC academic unit regarding program credit.

Non-degree students at UTSC may enroll in courses offered by any of the Undergraduate Divisions of the University of Toronto, provided that they meet the enrolment controls and prerequisites established by those Divisions.

Note: Other Divisions’ Calendars do not usually list UTSC courses as exclusions. Students taking such courses must check the UTSC Calendar for possible exclusions. Students who are in any doubt about whether or not an exclusion exists, whether a course can be used to meet a prerequisite for another course, or can be applied to a program requirement should consult with their Program Supervisor/Director.


Courses at Other Universities (Letters of Permission and Transfer Credit)

Degree students in good standing may take a maximum of 5.0 Full Course Equivalents (FCE) elsewhere for transfer credit. Students admitted with transfer credit may be limited in the number of courses that they may transfer after admission.

Prior to taking courses at a Canadian university, students should request a Letter of Permission to confirm the acceptability of those courses for transfer credit. For other universities, students may submit a request for transfer after completing courses elsewhere (Post-Admission Transfer Credit); students are cautioned that there is no guarantee transfer credit will be awarded.

Students should confirm they are eligible to request transfer credit before applying by referring to the Letter of Permission and Post-Admission Transfer Credit Guidelines on the Admissions & Student Recruitment website. Students must apply and submit payment online for transfer credit assessment using the form available at the Transfer Credit, Letter of Permission and Visiting Student Payment Processes website. Assessment of transfer credit may take several weeks to process depending on the time of year and the nature of the request. Applicants are responsible for submitting requests well in advance of any deadlines they must meet, and for obtaining the appropriate advising concerning the Letter of Permission and Transfer Credit processes.


Course Selection

  • Students whose registration contravenes the regulations may be withdrawn from courses, regardless of when the contravention comes to light.
  • Prerequisites: students must have passed any prerequisites identified in the course description before they enroll in the described course unless they have explicitly been waived by the instructor.
    • Instructors are empowered to waive prerequisites if they feel that there are adequate grounds for so doing.
    • If a student registers in a course without meeting its prerequisite and without obtaining a specific waiver, the student may be withdrawn from the course at any time without warning. Students remain in such courses at their own risk since not having passed the prerequisite will not be accepted as grounds for special consideration or petition.
    • If the prerequisite being waived is listed as a program requirement, students should discuss the matter in advance with their Program Supervisor/Director – the Program Supervisor/Director may need to record an exception in Degree Explorer.
    • The Office of the Registrar does NOT require notification of a prerequisite waiver.
  • Corequisites: students must either already have passed the corequisite course or must enroll in it at the same time as they take the course being described.
    • Instructors are permitted to waive corequisites if they feel that there are adequate grounds for doing so.
    • If students register in a course without meeting its corequisite, or if they withdraw from the corequisite course without obtaining a specific waiver, the student may be withdrawn from the described course at any time without warning. Students remain in such courses at their own risk since not having passed the corequisite will not be accepted as grounds for special consideration or petition.
  • Exclusions: students may not register for credit in any course which lists as an exclusion a course they are currently taking or have already passed (this includes credit awarded for work at other institutions, and courses that have been closed/deleted).
    • Students are cautioned that courses are not always mutually exclusive, so it is important to check the Calendar entries for both courses to ensure each lists the other as an exclusion.
    • Where students enroll in an excluded course, the second course will be marked as an extra (EXT) course and, although it will appear on the transcript and can be used to satisfy program requirements, it will not count towards degree requirements or CGPA.
    • ACORN does not automatically check for exclusions, but courses will be identified as extra courses in the student's academic record as soon as the exclusion is discovered. Students are cautioned this could happen without warning at any time during the student's studies at UTSC. Students can consult Degree Explorer to identify exclusions.
    • It is every student's responsibility to ensure s/he does not duplicate his/her studies, whether inadvertently or otherwise. Some FAS and UTM courses that have not been identified in this Calendar may be exclusions of UTSC courses and vice versa; for this reason, it is always good practice to consult the Program Supervisor/Director or an academic advisor from the Academic Advising & Career Centre before taking courses on other campuses. Similarly, some UTSC courses, including some that have been retired, may not appear in this Calendar as exclusions. If UTSC, FAS and/or UTM courses have similar titles or content, the onus is on the student to contact the academic unit offering the course(s) to determine if the content is so similar the courses should be considered as exclusions.
  • Repeating Failed Courses
    • A student may re-register for a course which they have failed. Both registrations are shown on the student's record and both grades count in the student’s CGPA.
  • Repeating Passed Courses
    • (a) Second Attempt for Credit (SAC): Students may repeat up to 1.0 credit of passed courses for which a credit has already been awarded. In these cases, the first attempt will be designated as extra (EXT) and will not be included in CGPA calculations or in the degree credit count. The second attempt will count toward credit totals and CGPA. Academic standing from prior sessions will not be reassessed. Second Attempt for Credit is not available for non-degree students. The second attempt must be taken in September 2023 or later; this policy does not apply to courses taken as a second attempt prior to September 2023. 
    • (b) Repeating courses as “Extra” (EXT): Extra courses are those for which students will not receive credit. The course and its grade will appear on the student's transcript (designated as an extra course) but the grade is not included in the student's grade point averages nor does the course count towards the degree. However, if appropriate, it may be used to satisfy program requirements. Students who repeat passed courses in excess of the 1.0 credit of Second Attempt for Credit policy (or who opt to not use the SAC option for a repeated passed course), will have the retake indicated as an extra (EXT) course. In such cases, the course and the final grade are shown on the record, but the grade is not included in the CGPA and the credit is not counted.
    • Repeating passed courses either through Second Attempt for Credit (SAC) policy or as an extra (EXT) course does not guarantee admission or re-admission into limited enrolment programs and these decisions are made at the discretion of the academic department. Students requesting to retake passed courses are not guaranteed enrolment in the requested course and will not be given priority in enrolment over other students. Students are encouraged to seek advising from their program advisor and/or the Academic Advising & Career Centre before deciding to retake a passed course or use the SAC policy. Retaking passed courses and the Second Attempt for Credit option are requested through the Office of the Registrar.
  • Students must register for their courses in accordance with instructions issued each session by the Office of the Registrar. Students who wish to change their registration may do so only until the deadlines for adding and dropping courses, described under Academic Dates on the Office of the Registrar website; and may do so only through ACORN.
  • Students are cautioned that they are responsible for ensuring their course schedule is conflict-free. Students who knowingly remain in courses that conflict with one another will not receive special consideration should they encounter problems related to the conflict.
  • Where multi-sectioned courses have a common examination, students enrolled in an evening section of the course may be required to sit an examination during the day and vice versa. Students may also be required to write Saturday or Sunday term tests or examinations.


Course Changes  

Students may add courses or drop courses without academic penalty through ACORN up to the dates stated in the Academic Dates. The deadlines for adding or dropping courses are strictly applied.  

  • Students who make changes through ACORN should end their transactions by listing their courses to ensure the change has been processed properly. They will not receive written confirmation of the change but it will be recorded in the Activity log kept by the University, which can be accessed through ACORN.  
  • At the time students add a course to their record they are accepting responsibility for fee payment for it. Students who drop courses by the appropriate deadline may be entitled to a fee adjustment. (See the fees refund schedule and information published each session by Student Accounts

Note: exceptions to the University's fees refund schedule are made only in the case of an error on the University's part.  

Changing Meeting Sections in a Course  

Students may change meeting sections in a course at any time provided that, if the change takes place after the deadline for adding the course, they have the written approval of the instructor of the new meeting section or the administrative staff person responsible for student academic advising in the academic unit offering the course. The department must send the approval to the Office of the Registrar to have the change recorded in ACORN. 

Note: For some course sections, changes are not permitted on ACORN. These are listed in the Course Timetable

Dropping a Course 

  • Students wanting to drop a course should pay attention to two deadlines in the Academic Dates.   
  • If students withdraw from a course by the last date to drop courses without academic penalty, no record of registration is shown on the student's transcript.   
  • If students withdraw from a course by the late withdrawal date, the course remains on the student's record with a grade of LWD indicating late withdrawal. Students are permitted to withdraw late from a maximum of 3.0 credits during their studies within UTSC, FAS or UTM. 
  • If students cease to complete course requirements but do not withdraw officially by the later deadline, a grade based on the marks awarded (including a zero for any incomplete work) will be recorded.   
  • Students are not permitted to cancel or withdraw from a course in which an allegation of academic misconduct is pending, from the time of the alleged offence until the final disposition of the accusation. Such courses are designated GWR until the allegation is resolved.  

Students who drop all their current courses and do not intend to enroll in any other course in that session (whether Summer, Fall or Winter) are deemed as having withdrawn from the session and must cancel their registration through ACORN. Students dropping all their courses in a session may wish to speak to an academic advisor from the Academic Advising & Career Centre or Office of the Registrar staff about the academic and financial consequences of withdrawal.  


Voluntary Leave of Absence

UTSC students who have completed at least one course may take a voluntary leave from studies without formal authorization. No specific documentation or approval is required by UTSC.

To take a voluntary leave from studies, students have the option to: a) choose not to complete registration in a given academic period (e.g., Fall/Winter session, Fall or Winter Term) or b) cancel their current registration in a given academic period.  

While on a voluntary leave, students will not pay any tuition, incidental, or ancillary fees; are not considered for scholarships or awards; cannot normally access University services (with the exception of their Registrar’s Office) including health services; cannot participate in student internships; and cannot undertake undergraduate research. A student who chooses to take a voluntary leave from their studies is not exempt from academic deadlines, financial responsibilities, current or future policies, and fees schedules. Students who cancel their registration part-way through a term are responsible for any outstanding balance owed to the University. Students on leave may contact their Registrar’s Office for information about their status and returning to studies.

All students considering a voluntary leave of absence should make themselves aware of financial implications for programs such as OSAP, out of province aid, UTAPS, or loan programs; the impact for internal and external award payments; and how tuition and refunds will apply. Co-op students considering a voluntary leave of absence should consult with their Program Coordinator in the Co-op Office. Students who plan to cancel their courses and registration part-way through a term should refer to their divisional refund schedule.

Policy for International Students on an Approved Voluntary Leave of Absence

An approved leave of absence will be considered for international students who wish to have their leave intentions documented by the University. International students should consult with the International Student Centre (ISC) before considering a leave of absence and may only request and be approved for a maximum of two calendar years. An extension beyond two calendar years will not be approved; students may choose to continue a leave but it will not be considered an approved leave of absence.


Return from Absence (Voluntary Leave or Withdrawal)

Students previously registered at UTSC who have completed at least one course and wish to return after suspension or absence of three or more consecutive sessions (at least 12 months), and UTSC alumni wishing to return to studies as a non-degree student, can submit a "Re-enrolment Request Form" to the Office of the Registrar. Students should apply to re-enroll well before the final deadline to ensure there is sufficient time to process any requested post-admission transfer credit. 

Degree students in good standing who studied at a recognized degree-granting institution during their absence from UTSC may be eligible to receive transfer credit for courses completed with at least a 60% (C-), where the minimum passing grade is 50%. Students should apply for post-admission transfer credit online and make payments. Official final transcripts are required and should be sent directly to the Office of Admissions & Student Recruitment at UTSC. 

Enrolment in most courses is on a first-come, first-served basis. In order to have the application processed in time to take advantage of the wider availability of courses, students are strongly advised to submit the application to re-enroll by the dates listed below: 

  • Mid-March for the Summer Session
  • Mid-June for both the Fall and Winter Sessions
  • Early October for the Winter Session

Late applications to re-enroll will be considered ONLY if received before classes begin in the session. Late fees may apply. For further information on re-enrolment, visit the Office of the Registrar website.


Copyright in Instructional Settings

Students who want to record (whether audio, video or tape), photograph, or otherwise reproduce lecture presentations, course notes, or other materials provided by instructors must obtain the instructor's written consent beforehand. Otherwise, all such reproduction is viewed as an infringement of copyright, and is absolutely prohibited. In the case of private use by students with disabilities, the instructor's consent will not be unreasonably withheld. Where permission has been granted by the instructor, the reproduced materials are for the student's individual and private use only, and cannot be used for further reproduction, publication, online posting, or sale.